This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

Workers severely burnt after gas leak explosion

22 March 2013

Two workers from Calor Gas sustained severe burns after a gas leak led to a flashover explosion in Bristol; the company has been fined as a result.

According to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) Kevin Bates, 54, from Witney, Oxfordshire, and Graham Crouch, 48, from Lymington, Hampshire, were inspecting LPG gas tanks at Stancombe Quarry, Flax Bourton, when the explosion occurred on 14 June 2010.

Calor Gas has been fined for safety failings after two workers suffered severe burns when they were caught in a flashover explosion triggered by a gas leak near Bristol.

''Mr Crouch suffered 22% burns to his hands, face and chest and was hospiatlised for nine weeks while Mr Bates suffered lesser burns to his face and hands, but also required emergency treatment.''

Calor Gas, which employed Mr Crouch and contracted Mr Bates for the job, appeared before North Somerset Magistrates on 21 March 2013 in proceedings brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which investigated the explosion.

The court heard the men were carrying out a routine inspection of a large industrial gas tank at the quarry.

As part of the job, they used specialised equipment on the back of a converted lorry to remove residual gas from the tank. The gas was piped into a slops tank on the back of the vehicle and a pressure relief valve was fitted to allow excess gas to escape harmlessly into the atmosphere.

However, the men had not fully removed a tarpaulin that covered the valve, which allowed gas to build-up under the cover on the back of the truck.

Mr Bates and Mr Crouch were in a special cab attached to the back of the truck when they heard a whistling noise. As they exited the cab to inspect what was happening, the gas ignited and they were caught in the explosion.

During the emergency response to the incident, the nearby A370 was closed for a number of hours.

HSE established that Calor Gas failed to provide clear and adequate instructions about removal of the tarpaulin and should have provided more detailed training for staff.

Calor Gas Ltd, of Tachbrook Park, Warwick, was fined a total of £30,000 and ordered to pay £105,983 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

HSE Inspector Ian Whittles, speaking after the hearing, said:

"This was a very serious incident that could easily have resulted in both Mr Crouch and Mr Bates being killed. In the event, they suffered severe burns and a great deal of pain, which could have been avoided.

"Calor Gas' instructions about use of the tarpaulin were not clear or adequate and they should have provided more detailed training for their staff.

"Gas pressure relief valves must never be covered when they might be operating. Any build-up of gas, such as LPG, is potentially lethal."


Contact Details and Archive...

Print this page | E-mail this page

RELATED CONTENT...

View more articles
Article image

Aramark 'tops again for health and safety'

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has placed Aramark top in its sector for health and safety for the second year running...
Article image

Safety Expo: Evac+Chair Emergency Bus rolls into town

Evac+Chair International says it's set to make an impact at the 2013 Safety and Health Expo with the launch of its own Emergency Bus...
www.fsifm.com
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/?utm_source=PFM&utm_medium=MPU%20Banner&utm_campaign=Everything%20you%20need%20banner&utm_term=Clicks&utm_content=Feb%2021


MOST VIEWED...

View more articles
Article image

Why the Law Says You Need a Nappy Bin Disposal Service

At home, parents are used to disposing of their babies’ used nappies the same way they do any other domestic waste - bagging it up and sticking it in the r...
Article image

Registration page published for PFM Partnership Awards 2020 ceremony

Those wishing to attend the online presentation ceremony for the PFM Partnership Awards 2020 at 16.00 on 17 March can now register in advance by

Takeover of G4S by US company seeming increasingly likely

American company Allied Universal Security seems to be set to take over G4S, after Canadian rival GardaWorld declined to increase its previous offer for th...

Benchmarking maintenance

BSRIA has just published this year's operation and maintenance benchmarking report as a guide for building operators to evaluate their performance against ...
Article image

Launch of PFM Partnership Awards 2021 categories

Today sees the launch of the PFM Partnership Awards 2021, all of which are listed below with the relevant criteria for each one....
Article image

Calls for improved training to assist drive for net zero carbon

Concern over the meeting of net zero carbon targets has been voiced by leaders within the construction sector, according to the latest report from the Inst...
https://www.uhubglobal.com
http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=78915b1c-0f11-4b5e-9468-ba601ad89761