Leisure centre closed after customer's legionella infection
05 December 2016
Walton-on-the-Naze Lifestyles leisure facility was closed at the end of last week after legionella bacteria was discovered in the showers and fitness room.
It was also revealed that a customer had contracted a serious lung infection after using the showers at the centre, according to the East Anglia Daily Times.
After being discharged from Colchester General Hospital, the man had met with staff from the Lifestyle centre the following day.
A full investigation is being conducted and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has been informed.
According to the East Anglia Daily Times, tests had been carried out on the showers in November.
These had shown legionella bacteria was present and the results had been seen by Tendring District Council (TDC), which runs the facility, on 30 November.
TDC cabinet member for leisure and wellbeing Lynda McWilliams was quoted as saying: "As soon as we were contacted by Public Health England, the showers used by the customer were closed down and test samples taken."
Further tests were then conducted by an independent laboratory and the relevant industry bodies were notified, she continued.
Ms McWilliams further stated that the TDC council's corporate health and safety advisory was "currently working to find and eliminate the source of the bacteria".
Steps taken involved pre-flush samples, dismantling and disinfecting of shower heads, flushing the system and the taking of more samples.
Stating that customer health and well-being is the council's top priority, she asked clients to "bear with us until this matter is resolved".