This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

http://www.cafmexplorer.com/?utm_source=pfm-site&utm_medium=468x60banner&utm_campaign=2018_messaging

Detail emerging on government Apprenticeship Levy

26 October 2016

Employers with an annual payroll of £3m or over will be required to contribute to the Apprenticeship Levy, the government has announced.

Applying to just 2% of employers, the government says the remaining 98% will receive 90% of their apprenticeship training costs from May 2017 onward.

Companies with less than 50 employees will have the entire cost covered for apprentices between the ages of 16 and 18 years old.

Employers taking on 19- to 24-year-olds who were in care or have an education and health care plan will also receive 100% of their costs.

It is further claimed that government spending on apprenticeships will have doubled by the end of this decade, compared with 2010 levels.

An example of the additional funding is the £60m provided to encourage more young people from deprived backgrounds to enrol in training schemes.

A new register of apprenticeship training providers has also been created, involving quality and financial tests, with those failing the Ofsted rating classed as ineligible to join.

The announcement goes some way to providing more detail about the Apprenticeship Levy and follows continuing industry discussion on what impact the scheme will have.

Skills Minister Robert Halfon said: "The reforms we are rolling out will guarantee support from employers and government."

The levy will boost economic productivity, increase the skills base and "give millions a leg up on the ladder of opportunity" said the minister.

Further information on the Apprenticeship Levy is available here.

Among the first to respond to the government announcement was Building Engineering Services Association director of training Tony Howard.

"This is the news we have been waiting for," he said.

"Employers need certainty about future funding provision so they can plan their recruitment strategies and this provides welcome reassurance."


Print this page | E-mail this page

MOST VIEWED...


Article image Carillion paid price for 'chasing revenue at the expense of profit'

Thoughts on the demise of Carillion have been shared by the PFM Editorial Advisory Board (EAB) during its latest meeting yesterday afternoon.Full Story...

Article image Nigel Taylor: Who is the Man behind Carillion Services?

Clear, engaging and collaborative – that’s how Carillion Services MD Nigel Taylor, a lifelong Leeds United supporter – describes his management style. In this exclusive interview, PFM got a glimpse of the private man behind the business image.Full Story...

Sodexo, Carillion and Mitie top Magenta’s social media FM ranking

Troubled FM businesses feature in top government suppliers' list

Carillion sells three PPPs to LS Trillium

http://www.fsifm.comhttps://www.cleaningshow.co.uk/manchester