This website uses cookies primarily for visitor analytics. Certain pages will ask you to fill in contact details to receive additional information. On these pages you have the option of having the site log your details for future visits. Indicating you want the site to remember your details will place a cookie on your device. To view our full cookie policy, please click here. You can also view it at any time by going to our Contact Us page.

£130,000 fine after Network Rail worker's electrocution

04 August 2016

Kilmarnock Sheriff Court has fined Network Rail £130,000 after a worker received a 25,000 volt shock while repairing an overhead power line near Ardrossan South Beach station in 2009.

This caused "catastrophic injuries" and the worker has suffered significant loss of function and years of surgery, according to Safety & Health Practitioner.

Network Rail received the penalty after the court heard that it had provided the crews carrying out the repairs with "hopelessly inaccurate" diagrams.

The worker had been on a mobile access platform with a colleague, repairing a section of cable, when he touched a live wire and received the massive electric shock.

After admitting failure to provide safe working documentation, Network Rail also said it had failed to ensure work was only completed on isolated sections of line.

Sheriff Alistair Watson said the diagram in question appeared to "have been in continuous use by those who entrusted their safety to their employer.

"Put bluntly, this meant that a serious accident of this type, which perhaps not inevitable, was eventually highly foreseeable."

He also expressed "grave concern" over the time taken for the case to reach court, which was caused by technical difficulties with statements and different agents being involved in the case, said the prosecutors.

It was further stated that Network Rail had since improved its working systems.


Print this page | E-mail this page

MOST VIEWED...


Article image Hotel closed after legionella cases revealed

Following the discovery that two guests had contracted Legionnaires' disease, the Feathers Hotel in Ludlow, Shropshire has closed for water management procedures to be carried out.Full Story...

Article image PFM Awards 2017 finalists announced

Successful entries selected for inclusion in the list of finalists for the PFM Awards 2017 have been announced.Full Story...

PFM Awards 2017 categories announced

Family-owned Cordant Group becomes social enterprise

EXCLUSIVE PFM scoops last interview with Debbie White, outgoing CEO of Sodexo UK & Ireland

http://www.fsi.co.ukhttps://www.icscoolenergy.com/energy-efficient-boiler-hirehttps://www.emergencyuk.com/pfm2http://www.ukconstructionweek.com/energy-show?utm_source=pfm&utm_medium=smallbuttonsept&utm_campaign=energy17